Witham Fourth District Internal Drainage Board (“The Board”) Privacy Notice
We regard your privacy as important and comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We process and hold information in order to provide public services. This notice explains how we use and share your information. Information may be collected in paper or electronic form, by telephone, email or by a member of our staff.
We record personal information if:
- You contact us to inform us that you have acquired land in The Board’s drainage district,
- You contact us to inform us of changes to your land ownership,
- You contact us to ask for consent to do work on a watercourse in our drainage district,
- Your details are given to us by a third party e.g. solicitor, informing us of changes in land ownership
Why we collect information
The Board collects and holds information about you, in order to:
- deliver public services under Acts of Parliament, in particular The Land Drainage Act 1991 and the Flood and Water Management Act 2010
- confirm your identity to provide some services
- contact you by post, email or telephone
- update your ratepayer record
- allow us to undertake statutory functions efficiently and effectively
- make sure we meet our statutory obligations.
Our Right to Process Information
We are permitted to process information under GDPR Article 6 (1) (a) (b) and (e) when:
- Processing is with consent of the data subject, or
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, or
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller
How we use your information
We will only use any personal information we hold for the purposes for which it was provided. We will only hold your information for as long as necessary. All employees who have access to your personal data and are associated with the handling of that data are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your data. All your communications to us are protected against unauthorised access by third parties.
The Board tries to keep the information we have about you accurate. If, however, you find errors or inaccuracies in your data, we will erase, complete or amend that information upon request.
We will process your information for the following purposes:
- to ensure that we meet our legal obligations.
- where necessary for the our consenting and enforcement duties.
- where necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury.
Where we need to disclose your personal information to other authorities e.g. the Environment Agency, we will do so only with your prior explicit consent or where we are legally required to. We may disclose information when necessary to prevent risk of harm to an individual.
The Board seeks to ensure the security of personal data. We make sure that your information is protected from unauthorised access, loss, manipulation, falsification, destruction or unauthorised disclosure. This is done through appropriate technical measures and appropriate policies. We will only keep your data for the purpose it was collected for and only for as long as is necessary. After which it will be deleted.
Your Rights Access to Information
You have the right to request access to the information we have about you. You can do this by contacting our Data Controller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Correction and deletion
If you believe that the information we have about you is incorrect, you may contact us so that we can update it and keep your data accurate. Please contact: email@example.com
Right to Object
If you believe that your data is not being processed for the purpose it has been collected for, you may object: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To Sum Up
In accordance with the law, we only collect a limited amount of information about you that is necessary for correspondence, information and service provision. We do not use profiling, we do not sell your data, we do not pass your data to third parties without your consent. We do not use your data for purposes other than those specified. We make sure your data is stored securely. We delete all information deemed to be no longer necessary. We constantly review our Privacy Policies to keep it up to date in protecting your data.
If you have a complaint regarding the way your personal data has been processed you may make a complaint to The Board’s Data Controller: email@example.com and the Information Commissioners Office firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0303 123 1113
Witham Fourth District Internal Drainage Board
47 Norfolk Street